Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Possible graphics upgrade

Possible graphics upgrade

Hi all,

I've recently sold one of my 2 r9 280s, and am now looking at possible upgrades. Right now, looking at either an rx480 (8gb), a gtx 1060 or an r9 fury (not x).

Power delivery is not an issue (750w psu) and I game on a 1.5k screen 60Hz. I know the fury might seem like an overkill, however I'd like this graphics card to last at least 3 years, so extra power might be a good idea.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on these graphics cards? Thanks a lot.

++Good! Censorship Admin Mappo Trell's Avatar
    The RX480 or Fury are more powerful than the 1060, and either one should do well at 1440p (which is what I think 1.5k means?).

Look up reviews of those cards that feature games you play or might play to get an idea of what you can expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mappo Trell View Post
    The RX480 or Fury are more powerful than the 1060, and either one should do well at 1440p (which is what I think 1.5k means?).

Look up reviews of those cards that feature games you play or might play to get an idea of what you can expect.
    1.5k is less than 1080p which is sometimes called 2K. 3K is 3200x1800, 1440p is sometimes called 2.5k

1k is full 2nd (1080p), 1.5k is wide hd (25601080) 2k is 1440p and 4k is something like 38402160. I just updated my monitor for the LG 25um58 which is very nice.

I already looked at benchmarks and rx480s seem very interesting. Even more so since I don't need all of the 8gbs (i don't play in super high resolutions) it's much less pricier than the gtx 1060. Altough I couldn't find benchmarks of the rx480 vs r9 fury that made sense, and that's what I would like to see.. Thanks for the input

I like that 480 card myself IF you can find it somewhere around the intended MSRP. Most aftermarket companies have jacked up the prices by $75 US over the listed MSRP. That being said, I would go with ASUS who has done some improvements in the power delivery system making this a much better card than the reference design.

thank you ramsul. do you know if sapphire also made some improvements? i heard they use their special "black choke" or something, and also used an 8pin instead of a 6 pin.

all this talk about video cards has me thinking of upgrading from my pair of AMD R9 200s to something... more appropriate... like a pair of these... http://shop.amd.com/en-ca/components...ecxNCIca133971

Gab I'm not sure about the Sapphire. I do know that the 8pin was just the first part of the upgraded power delivery. I think the high end Japanese capacitors Asus uses is another key. I'll try and find the detailed review I read a few months ago to see what was found on the Sapphire.

Ok, thank you. I did some research on my own too, and found out that sapphire also refined power delivery via their own black diamond choke. Also read good reviews about it for noise and heat level. Plus it's smaller, so lighter, and the blue color would fit perfectly in my build lol.

Thanks for helping me out with this one

I finally decided to go with an R9 FURY NITRO. Got an awesome deal on newegg (360$ CAD). Since it was the same price as an RX480 but about 10-15% faster, I bought it right away.

I'll post once I test it for you guys!